Sunday, August 25, 2013

Dried Fruit and Kid-Approved Linguine with Clams

This week for the Letter of the Week, we will be learning the letter "D." So how perfect would dried fruit be? We will also be tasting dragonfruit tomorrow for the first time. I decided to make cinnamon apple crisps. I also tried banana crisps, but they came out too burnt for pictures lol.



Cinnamon Apple Crisps

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours

Total Time: 3 hours and 5 minutes

Makes one large tray of cinnamon apple crisps


Ingredients
4 apples
cinnamon sugar


Directions
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.



Slice your apples into the thinnest slices possible. It'd be best to use a mandolin, but I don't have one. This was my first time making these, so some of the apples were still a little juicy because I didn't slice them thin enough.



Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar ALL over :)



Pop them in the oven for an hour and a half. Flip the apples and leave in for the remaining time. I left them in as the oven cooled as well. 



When it's done cooling, enjoy!!


....................................................................





Kid-Approved Linguine with Clams

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Makes 6 servings


Ingredients
8 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 cans of minced clams
salt/pepper to taste
1 box linguine

Directions
Heat a small pot to medium/medium high and add garlic and onion. Cook for 5 minutes. Add salt/pepper to taste. Add butter and simmer for about 8 minutes. 



Add olive oil, cans of minced clams (with the juice), parsley, and basil. Simmer for as long as it takes to cook your noodles. 



I prefer linguine with my clams, but you can use whatever noodles you like. 


As you can see, they kids LOVED it! I wish I got a picture, but our little mamas had two plates!!




***This dish is not organic, nor is it the healthiest meal I've ever made. But it's SO good I just had to share it. In my first post, I told you I would take you with me on our journey through our first year. We fell back on the strict organic, but are still clear from fast food, artificial dyes, and food coloring. I'm going to be straight forward with my blog and post from our first year-on track or not, the good, the bad, and the ugly. So here it is :) Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. the linguine looks yummy, I have to try the apples in the oven we dehydrated before but it takes forever lol

    ReplyDelete